Skip to main content

Award Artistry

Today was the girls first swim meet. When we got home tanned, tired, and flush with new ribbons and medals, I told the kids to put their awards away and get ready for a shower. They said they couldn't because they didn't know where ribbons go. Now this is 90% procrastination, but 10% of their complaint is real. Their ribbons are in the memory boxes, in drawers, on dressers, and generally all over the house. So after a little rest I told the kids we could make something to put their ribbons and medals on.

Since it's the beginning of summer, and I have an online shopping problem, we have lots of good cardboard boxes that I thought we could put to some good use. Here's what we made:




And here's how we made them:

Step One: Find a good, thick box and cut a panel off.


Yep, I posted a picture of that. I've been well trained in the art of being fair by my girls and if one step gets a picture, they all get a picture. :)

Step Two: Pick your fabric and plan out your final product. Map out how you want your final product to look and then start gluing the fabric to the cardboard. Abby wanted hers all one color so it was easier to plan out than Briana's. With Briana's the order of the gluing was important to the design. Leave fabric wrapping over the sides of the cardboard - it will look prettier in the end that way.



The back doesn't matter. When you nail it to the wall, no one will see the back.


(Unless you post it online.)

Step Three: Turn it over and admire. You're basically done.



Step Four: Use push pins to add your ribbons and use large basting/safety pins to attach your medals. If you push the basting pins in from the back with the hook side (vs the pointy side) on the bottom, they will hold well. I put lots of extra pins on so that next time they get a medal (like Tuesday's swim meet) they can pin it on themselves.




Quick and easy, and made all with supplies I had around the house. If you want to spruce it up a bit you can put it in a shadowbox to better preserve the ribbons and have it look better on the wall. You can also use ribbons, jewels, or anything else to better decorate. If you crisscross ribbons and use round pushpins where they cross, and on the edges, the kids can slide the ribbons in.

Now there's no excuse when I tell the kiddies to put their awards away...not that the kids won't come up with a new one. The artistry for awards medal goes to Mommy. Your move kiddies.

<3 Pedigreed Housewife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helping Hands Olympics

As the school year starts to come to a close, and we prepare for next year, I’ve been going to many preparatory meetings at the kids’ school about next year.   Of all of the information I was inundated with, one alarming fact, which was actually said offhand in response to a question, stuck out.   Many kids nowadays don’t have the coordination and hand strength to tie their shoes or even to write.   Apparently when we substitute things like climbing trees for video games and written letters for emails, our kids are losing the muscles in their hands.   It was said that most kids by what I think was 3 rd grade don’t have the muscles in their hands to write a multiple page paper at one sitting.   It was also said that most Kindergarteners not only can’t tie their shoes, but have never even been presented with the opportunity to try to tie their shoes in today’s world of slip-ons and Velcro.   That’s really alarming (and sociologically interesting) to me! ...

Gripping Geometry

Both of my kids know their basic shapes (square, triangle, circle) very well.    Briana even knows all of the basic extended shapes (pentagon, octagon, star, oval, rectangle, heart, and diamond).   Abigail gets the extended shapes correct some of the time but not always yet.   I credit the kids’ love of puzzles, specifically the Melissa and Doug puzzle that shouts out each shape’s name in a weird monotone if you put it in the correct space. At this point I think that there is a diminishing return in adding dodecahedron to their vocabulary or splitting the triangle into isosceles and equilateral and the rectangle into a parallelogram and a trapezoid.   That being said I do want to expand on their knowledge of shapes (and spending the day on shapes will reinforce what they already know too).   So this week I will literally expand the shapes for the kids- Squares into cubes Rectangles into boxes or cuboids Circles into cylinders and spheres Triangles into ...

Sound 'Speriments

Inspired by the fact that Abby is starting to talk up a storm, I decided to dedicate Friday morning to learning a little bit about sound, and more specifically, sound waves. Towards the end of breakfast, while everyone’s sitting down, I ask my now three year old and my 1.5 year old what they think causes all of the sounds we hear.   I get lots of answers – “Abby screaming.” “When you bang on something.”   “The TV.” “Up abub da world so high.   Like a ningun in da sky” (Abby’s very into singing ‘twinkle twinkle’ right now). Then I explain what is really happening, in a toddler understandable way.   When anything makes a sound, it pushes the air in a wave, just like when you push the water to make waves in the bathtub.   (We love making “waves” in the bathtub.   And by “we”, I mean the kids.   For the record, the mommy does not like it when the waves crash over the side of the tub and create a mess to clean up.   Even when it happens to a fit of...